Discover more from 42 Slash
Mini : Does My Audience Live on Facebook?
Community Plug: Clio is Hiring. This is a fantastic opportunity for a data-driven SaaS marketer to join an exceptionally high-performing DG function. Be sure to check out the job opening on the link above.
Our peers and clients have frequently questioned whether Facebook is the right channel for the B2B market, specifically for SaaS enterprises. My answer to them has always been, 'There are a billion people on Facebook, and most likely, your audience will be among them.' For a more in-depth dive, check out our full essay here, discussing our tried and tested FB strategies and marketing tactics for B2B.
We all know that Meta's LookALike (LAL) engine is by far the most superior out of all platforms, and with better economies of scale and more placement options, the fundamental question that needs to be answered is - how can you build an effective custom audience on Facebook?
Here is what you can do:
You can build custom audiences based on Website, Customer List, Videos, Lead Forms & 3rd Party Sources (there are different sources, but for B2B, we'll focus on a handful of these below)
1. For Website: install FB pixel on your site, then match your Fb profile information with cookies logged in and logged out and the relevant hashes. Once you are in your profile, the platform can do cross-device targeting (targeting desktop viewers on their mobile devices)
2. Customer list: here is where B2B can do specific targeting by uploading lists of their customers/prospects/qualified leads/expired trials/paid users etc., and tell FB to prepare customer lists to target your audience on:
✔️Facebook networks, and
✔️build a look-alike audience from said list.
Sidebar: add email IDs even if they are business domains (usually the case for B2B), as it would mean more data points for the platform machine to match against.
Pro tip: Use HubSpot Ads Connector to build and manage custom audiences in Meta Ads Manager using lists and statuses.
3. Videos: with an average cost-per-view (CPV) <$1, running a video ad can be more cost-effective than an average CPC, around $3-6. Just remember to target your audience based on the percentage of the video viewed. The underlying rationale is that the higher percentage of video views equals a better-fit audience, which means they are higher on brand awareness.
4. Lead Forms: generating lead-off lead forms is one of the more cost-effective ways. You can retarget those who have completed the lead form and re-market to those who still need to. For a more in-depth tactical approach to optimizing lead form, hit reply or find me on socials.
5. 3rd Party sources: At 42 Agency - we also partner with 3rd party data providers to match work emails to hashed Facebook & mobile IDs to increase match rates & improve targeting effectiveness.
You’re in good company.
Folks from these companies read 42/